Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Midweek Update: Devil in the White City

Hey all.  I just got back from a quick trip to see the folks, and accordingly I owe you all a few posts.  Actually, I have a really good "Thing to check out" that I just heard about, but I'll save it for Sunday.  :)



However, I just started reading Devil in the White City (on my 7 hour bus ride from Ohio) and I really like it.  It alternates between narrating the story of the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 and the murderer who was active during it.

What is particularly interesting about this book is that its writer is not a novelist but a historian.  All the events are facts rather than speculation, but they are written in a fluid way that make you wonder what will happen next.  There are elements of foreshadowing and irony built in because, let's face it, life is ironic.

So, what I would like to be doing at the moment is eating my lovely lunch of hot and sour soup and working on this book, but alas, it is a work-day for me.  Instead I am faced with my chronic conundrum of feeling guilty whenever I read for fun.  Thus, I am working my way through an article: Lopez 2009, "Ranking the Linear Correspondence Axiom," which as it turns out is not only very readable but quite clever.  We're working on it as part of our lab meeting discussion group because we have Luis (Lopez) on hand to pester with questions.  The basic idea is that Kayne's (1994) Linear Correspondence Axiom (LCA) is simply ranked with other prosodic rules in an Optimality Theory sort of approach.  Importantly, linearization is either a product of C-command or the mapping into PF, which allows clitic right and/or left dislocation to occur.

But, I haven't finished it yet.  The soup certainly helps, though.

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to read this book! I am reminded anew that I should do so. :)

    ReplyDelete