Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hobnobbing and all that good stuff

So, if you were unaware, socialization in academia is pretty important stuff. In many ways, knowing people makes your life easier; some of the best references and ideas you get from sitting around talking with other academics. Take the illustrious David Pesetsky who graced UIC's halls not a week ago. We sat around a table with him and took turns talking about our research projects, and he had something helpful to say about each one. One of these days, I'd like to think that someone would say that about me.

Anyway, tomorrow will be the second PhD defense I've ever seen. I'm extra excited because Bill VanPatten is on the committee, and I hear he's quite charismatic. He's one of those people whose names I've heard a million times and have yet to lay eyes on. That is, unless you count that moment in Sol y Viento when he walks through the background....

No comments:

Post a Comment